Ponytails and pancakes

Ponytails and pancakes

Sunday, April 24, 2011

I am not a Soccer Mom. ! ?

I'm not so much a "soccer mom" as I am a really loud, vocal, rambunctious supporter of my daughter.  I've tried to be quiet, really I have!  But, it doesn't work.  To be fair, when Sofia played soccer, I was much quieter.  Mostly because there wasn't anything nice to say.  Bless her heart, my oldest daughter is in no way an athlete.  Eva is much different.  She loves soccer.  And, she's pretty good at it.  She's not aggressive (which is very necessary in sports), but I'm hoping she'll adapt.  She does, however, run harder than any one else on the field (including the boys).  Yes, this is only Rec league soccer.  Yes, the players are only in the 1st and 2nd grade.  Yes, they're just learning the game.  No, that doesn't stop me from yelling like it's the World Cup every single Saturday.  In my defense, I only mumble to myself during practices - even I know there are limits.
At yesterday's game, someone was already sitting in my spot when I arrived.  Yes, I do have a spot.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am as methodical as they come.  Anal Retentive.  I like to sit on the midfield line so I can see both goals equally.  I almost felt bad for the lady when I sat my chair not two feet away from her.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I abhor sitting by people I don't know... but, that shows how determined I was to sit in my designated area.  But, I did have a moment of pity for her... until she showed herself to also be a "yeller".  Then it was on.
Here is a sampling of the supportive sideline coaching I gave yesterday:



"WOOHOO!  LOOK AT THAT CAPTAIN!"

"GET READY, BABY!"
"RUN, EVA!!  GO TO THE BALL!  STAY ON YOUR SIDE!"
"GET IN FRONT OF A BLUE!"
"GO TO THE GOAL!  BE OPEN FOR A PASS!"
"THAT'S MY GIRL!  TAKE IT FROM THEM, BABY!"
These were all of the pictures I was able to take because it's hard to yell and snap photos at the same time.  Luckily, a non-vocal parent was taking pictures, and I cannot wait to see them! 

I never yell mean things - not even to the other team.  It's always supportive and only occasionally bordering on complete frustration.  I have even been caught complimenting the opposing team, though not nearly as robustly.  Before this game, I saw another mom I know who was coming to watch a different game.  She was saying that people always look at her funny when she yells at the games.  She says that people think, since it's only a kid's rec league, you're just supposed to sit quietly on the sidelines.  My response?  "I don't care what level it is, if Eva's playing on a team, I'm going to support as loudly as I can."  Do I get dirty looks?  I imagine so; but that happens all the time anyway, and I could not possibly care less.  Do people around me wish I would shut up?  I imagine so; but so does my husband - ask him how far that's gotten him!  All I care about is that Eva doesn't mind at all.  I'm the first person she looks to after every touch of the ball.  And, she knows that I'll be right there at midfield unashamed to show my pride.

So, the lady who was sitting in my spot before the game... what happened to our battle of voices?  She had moved by the end of half-time.  I guess we know who won on the field as well as off.

No comments:

Post a Comment